PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
The Law Offices of James A. Adams, P.C., L.L.O.
Phone: 800-561-9043

How can I get my parenting plan changed?

As this blog has mentioned before, Nebraska parenting plans are not set in stone. Unlike with other court orders and settlements, family law judges in the Omaha area have relatively broad discretion to modify the custody and parenting time provisions in a parenting plan. The logic behind this flexibility is that parenting plans are supposed to be drafted for the best interest of the children involved, and the best interest of children can change as time goes on and different circumstances arise.

However, courts in Nebraska cannot automatically change parenting plans just because one parent thinks doing so is a good idea. The parent desiring the change is going to have to demonstrate to the court that there has been what the law calls a material change of circumstances and that the parent's new proposed plan is in the best interests of the children.

It is always nice when a mother and father agree on important and necessary changes to a plan and officially notify the court. In many cases, though, there may be a dispute about what changes, if any, are needed. In such cases, it's really best for a man who is looking to change a parenting plan to speak with an attorney.

Moreover, men who are seeking a change need to be aware that each court in this state may have local practices through which they handle these sorts of cases. For instance, in Douglas County, a special office called the Conciliation Court may have to approve the proposed plan before a judge will hear the case.

Still, a change in a parenting plan can be just what an Omaha dad needs in order to have more opportunities to spend time with and build a relationship with his children. Therefore, these matters shouldn't be approached lightly. Instead, Omaha men who are interested in addressing a parenting plan should consider consulting with a family law professional of their choosing.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Office

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Law Offices of James A. Adams, P.C., L.L.O.
5822 S. 142nd Street, Suite A
Omaha, NE 68137

Map & Directions

  • American Institute of Family Law Attorneys | 10 Best Law Firms | 2016 Client Satisfaction Award
  • Loading...