Dads have Rights Too

Dads have Rights Too

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Practice Areas
  4.  » Modification

Modifications Are Sometimes Necessary; I Can Help

After custodial orders are initially entered, it is sometimes necessary to go back and revisit the issues. A modification requires that there be a substantial and material change in circumstances. Seeking and achieving custody modifications require dedicated, aggressive legal counsel. At The Law Offices of James A. Adams PCLLO, I help fathers with contested and uncontested custody modifications. Contact my Omaha, Nebraska, office today for powerful protection of your right to be a dad, not just a father.

Understanding The Many Factors Relating To Modification

It is far more difficult to win a contested custody case in a modification context than in the initial divorce. The party seeking modification must carry the heavy burden of proof that shows a material change of circumstances that did not exist when the original custody order was put into place. When considering a custody modification, it is sometimes necessary to adopt a marathon mentality and settle in for the long haul. Pursuing a contested custody modification can be an expensive and lengthy process, often taking six months to a year to achieve.

In choosing to modify custody, a variety of factors, similar to those faced during the initial divorce, may come into play.

  • A need for credible witnesses other than just yourself
  • Children’s preferences
  • History of parenting time spent with children
  • Children’s attendance and performance in school
  • A variety of other factors including abuse, neglect, criminal activity, etc.

Child support modification hinges on a material change of circumstances, usually income-related. If you lose your job, it is important to file for child support reduction right away. Support modification is not retroactive prior to the filing of your application.

Contempt actions may be pursued if your former spouse is not following the terms of your custody, parenting time or support order, or if they are failing to give notice of important happenings related to the children.

For Answers To Your Questions, Call Today

I am prepared to see you through your modification or contempt dispute, no matter how difficult. As a former Marine, I take pride in standing up for what is right and just. Contact my office in Omaha at CALL or fill out this form online to schedule an appointment. Remember, DADS HAVE RIGHTS, TOO!