PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Brand Logo

Is the mother of your children disobeying your divorce decree?

| Nov 24, 2016 | Fathers' Rights |

Court orders must be followed to the letter by both spouses following the finalization of a divorce case or out-of-court divorce agreement. This refers to any and all provisions of a divorce agreement or divorce decree relating to spousal support, parenting plans, asset distribution, child custody, child support and any other provisions. Spouses who do not follow their divorce decrees could be found in contempt of court.

In the news media, we often hear of mothers becoming the victims of fathers who failed to follow court orders after their divorces. Perhaps the father did not pay child support on time or did not pay his alimony payments due. However, fathers can just as likely become the victims of mothers who do not pay heed to the terms of a divorce court’s orders. In these situations, fathers can just as well stand up for their rights.

The Nebraska court system has a number of ways to enforce a divorce court order. These include asset seizure, restricting parenting time, levies on bank accounts, garnishment of wages, suspending a drivers’ license and requiring the non-compliant person to reimburse attorneys’ fees.

When a father seeks to enforce the terms of his divorce agreement like this, it is referred to as a “contempt action.” At the Law Office of James A. Adams, we take contempt actions on behalf of Nebraska fathers seriously. If you believe that the mother of your children is in contempt of court regarding her failure to adhere to the terms of your divorce decree, we are here to help you assert your rights in court.

Source: The Law Office of James A. Adams, PC, LLO, “Omaha Fathers’ Rights Attorney,” accessed Nov. 24, 2016

Contact The Office

5822 S. 142nd Street, Suite A
Omaha, NE 68137
Map & Directions

Facebook     Linkedin   Twitter