PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
Brand Logo

It is hard enough for an Omaha, Nebraska, dad who wants to be part of his child’s life to negotiate a suitable parenting plan to enable him to enjoy court-ordered visits with his child. However, it can be even more frustrating when the child’s mother disregards the plan altogether and denies the father parenting time. It is also frustrating when the mom repeatedly commits minor violations of the parenting plan that, when added together, are clearly a scheme to make the man’s time with his child as difficult and unpleasant as possible.

Although other options may be available, the ordinary way to enforce a parenting plan under these circumstances is to ask the court that approved the plan to hold the mother in contempt for violating it. By requesting the court to hold the mother in contempt, the man is saying that the child’s mother has willfully violated the parenting plan.

Court orders are important to follow, so a court that finds a mother in contempt may order her to serve jail time until she can sincerely agree to follow the orders. Usually, however, the court will first give the mother a chance to strictly comply with a visitation schedule, which may at that point be revised to allow the man time for the visits he missed because of the mother’s actions.

While fathers should get the rights they are entitled to under a parenting plan, actually enforcing them through a contempt proceeding is not always an easy or simple task. Getting the help of an experienced fathers’ rights attorney in the Omaha area may be an important step.

Contact The Office

5822 S. 142nd Street, Suite A
Omaha, NE 68137
Map & Directions

Facebook     Linkedin   Twitter